Cardinal TV - Cardinal Columns - Yearbook

We Are Cardinals

We Are Cardinals

We Are Cardinals

Cruising in Style

Senior Chase Royce’s car hobby

We all know those flashy cars that come roaring down the block, lights blinking and engines revving. However, senior Chase Royce knows those flashy cars more than most. In fact, he is the proud creator of some of those cars.

Chase Royce from Fond du Lac High School has made a hobby out of revamping cars since 2020. Since he started modifying cars, he has worked on four different cars in various stages of the upgrading progress.

While Chase mainly enjoys working on cars from the early 2000s, his dream car is a 2024 Nissan GT-R. He is drawn to this car because of its turbo, ease of drifting, and its V8-V10 engine, all modifications that he frequently likes to make on his own projects.

“It’s just a cool car with so many features, one that I would be proud to work on and drive,” he said.

A hobby like this can rack up costs quickly, and Chase estimates he would spend around $1,000 to $2,000 a year on his projects.

After graduation, I want to get my own project to work on, something I can drive around town. I like being able to show off my work and progress as I work on a build.

— Chase Royce

One of the most expensive modifications he wants to make are exhaust modifications, which can cost up to $1,200 per car. He is very lucky to have the support of his mom and girlfriend.

“This isn’t something you wouldn’t enjoy as much doing alone, so I am really lucky to have the support I do,” he said. “It costs a lot, mentally and financially, so I like to have people with me.”

When Chase isn’t working on his own cars or saving up for his next project, he’s visiting car meetups and combing social media to get ideas for his next projects. In the future, Chase hopes to turn his hobby into a career to build and sell cars to many more people.