Cardinal TV - Cardinal Columns - Yearbook

We Are Cardinals

We Are Cardinals

We Are Cardinals

Changing the Political World One Step at a Time

Youth in Government gives students experience in real-world politics and debate

Youth in Government is a club that allows students (delegates) to debate in real-world situations and create bills. If you are not so much of an arguer, you could join the media branch, which reports everything going on, advertises for the club with social media and reports about local events.

“Youth and government is a mock legislature run by the YMCA where students compete once a year, drafting legislation, or interpreting the constitution,” senior member LJ Kern said.

The club allows students to demonstrate their knowledge of the government but also allows students to become more engaged with what’s going on in their community.

Youth in Government also can have a lasting impact on someone’s life, especially if they have been in it for multiple years.

“It means the world to me to see so many like-minded individuals who understand that in order to see change we have to be the change makers and it has allowed me to travel the country and speak to peers all over,” Kern said.

If you want to become a part of Youth in Government or are interested in what it has going on, meetings are held in Ms. Carney’s room (1330) on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30. The meetings entail going over mock trials, planning trips and fundraisers and taking part in bonding activities.

Around May students get the opportunity to go to the state senate building to debate and present bills to the senate.