Bringing Spirit to Fondy

On Friday, October 29th, the FHS Spirit Committee hosted their first-ever movie night! Even though the weather tried to rain on their plans, students were still able to watch Beetlejuice at 6pm and Lights Out at 8pm in the small gym.

Even though the Spirit Committee couldn’t host a drive-in movie as planned, the committee felt that the night was still a success.

“It kind of shocked me and other members of the Spirit Committee about how many people showed up,” junior Kennedy Slater, a member of the Spirit Committee, said. “We weren’t expecting a huge blowout because it was during a football game, but a lot of people showed up, and it was really fun.”

Nicole Hawkins, the Spirit Committee Coordinator, said it all turned out very well.

“We rolled out all the mats and everybody kind of sat there and they brought snacks and we sold snacks and then everybody was in their jammies and had their blankets and everything,” she said.

Hawkins created the Spirit Committee around 3-4 years ago when she first came to Fond du Lac High School. “I started it because I did student government at my old school and I really missed it,” she said. “I started planning pep rallies, like helping out with that and then you realize that you need so much more help if you’re going to actually play in anything.”

This year, the Spirit Committee is planning on hosting events each month. In September they helped out with Homecoming, in October they had the movie night, and for November they are planning on hosting a “Turkey Hunt.” This event will essentially be a scavenger hunt for little paper turkeys hidden around the school with QR Codes on them, which can then be scanned on the school SuperFan app for points!

“You can earn up to 35 points in your school app and you can win prizes,” Slater said. “So just look around your classes and find a QR code with a turkey on it. But if you’re late to class, you are automatically disqualified.”

The Turkey Hunt is a fun event for students to participate in before Thanksgiving Break, as well as another opportunity to gain points on the SuperFan app, so make sure you get to class on time so you are able to participate!

If you missed the Halloween movie night, the Spirit Committee will also be hosting a Christmas movie event sometime in December. This movie night will be in the small gym, and the Spirit Committee will be selling concessions again.

The Spirit Committee is still open to accepting new members.

“If anybody wants to join and help out, or even if you just want to see what it’s about…show up if you’re interested…I feel like we’re kind of welcoming,” Hawkins said. Meetings are every Tuesday morning at 7:15 in Mrs. Hawkins’ room, 1184, down in the art hall.