Choir in a Pandemic

What Fondy Choir Looks Like in The 20-21 School Year

This school year choir, like so many things, had to be heavily altered, but they found many positives and opportunities, regardless there are many positives and things done in first semester and many more opportunities coming soon.
“With no concerts first semester we could focus on singing when we were together and skills on virtual days.” Choir teacher Allison Zeitler said. When it comes to choir, she said musical literacy and singing are both important. It’s harder to make time for skills such as rhythm and sight reading when all the choirs are preparing pieces for concerts, and with no concerts there was a lot more time to really improve in areas normally glossed over.

We’re less accurate. We make so many more mistakes because we don’t trust each other to guide one another.

— Alex Hilnak

“It’s so awkward being so far apart.” Alex Hilnak, a sophomore, said. “We’re less accurate. We make so many more mistakes because we don’t trust each other to guide one another.”
Things are looking up for second semester with more opportunities and some normalcy for the program. “We are hoping to do two concerts for each choir, one in March and one in May. Each student would receive two tickets. Everyone would be socially distanced and wearing masks.” Cory Schneider, Fondy’s other choir teacher said. Choir Students are excited for the opportunity to perform and continue to grow as musicians throughout the upcoming semester.
If you have any questions about upcoming choir events you can contact either choir directors or keep an eye out for announcements.